Chandler, Ariz., July 5, 2022 /PRNewswire/ — Viavi Solutions Inc. (VIAVI) (NASDAQ:VIAV) today shared the company’s role in the O-RAN PlugFest hosted by the O-RAN ALLIANCE and hosted by leaders from the industry. The PlugFest involved a series of on-site demonstrations in several countries, conducted in May and June 2022.
VIAVI relied on the comparative analysis and validation of PlugFest tests and demonstrations organized by:
- AT&T and Dish Wireless at the following locations:
- COSMOS laboratory, Rutgers University in New Brunswick, UNITED STATES
- TIP Community Lab hosted by Meta in Menlo Park, UNITED STATES
- University of New Hampshire Interoperability Laboratory at Durham, UNITED STATES
- Telefonica in Madrid, Spain; and
- Auray OTIC and Security Lab at Taiwan.
“The growing maturity of the O-RAN ecosystem was evident throughout PlugFest,” commented Dr. Ian Wang, CTO Office, VIAVI and Co-Chair, Testing and Integration Focus Group, O-RAN ALLIANCE. “Open Radio Units (O-RUs) complete front-end compliance certification and go beyond certification to performance testing. Interoperability in multi-vendor environments beyond the O-RU was also more focused , with key combinations such as O-RU and Open Distributed (O-DU), O-DU and Open Central Unit (O-CU), and complete end-to-end networks being demonstrated Vendors showcased the controller intelligent RAN (RIC) and its potential to bring AI/ML techniques to network optimization and service management.And with open network security becoming increasingly important, this PlugFest session included also running O-RAN and 3GPP security test cases.
The VIAVI test suite for O-RAN specifications supported conformance, performance, interoperability and end-to-end testing:
- O-RU – VIAVI and Rohde & Schwarz have partnered for O-RAN Fronthaul (OFH) compliance and 3GPP pre-compliance testing of O-RUs from Foxconn and other vendors. The two companies also jointly validated an O-RU reference design with components from Analog Devices and Intel. The combined test bench includes the VIAVI TM500 O-RU tester and the SMW200A vector signal generator (VSG) from Rohde & Schwarz, the FSW signal and spectrum analyzer and the Vector Signal Explorer (VSE) software, with the O-RU test manager providing a seamless user experience. Separately, VIAVI supported compliance and performance testing of a 64TRX C-band Massive MIMO Fujitsu O-RU, providing the TM500 O-RU tester, TM500 UE emulator, and T-BERD/MTS grandmaster 5800 PTP/SyncE.
- Transportation – VIAVI also provided the T-BERD/MTS-5800 for Xhaul transport and timing testing on ADVA’s FSP 150-XG418 as the Cell Site Gateway (CSG) and Network Operating System (NOS) ) Activator assembly on Edgecore AS7316-26XB as Hub Site Router (HSR) and validation of compatibility of 3rd party optical jacks of precision optical transceivers.
- End-to-end interoperability and security testing – VIAVI TM500 UE emulator and TeraVM Core emulator were used for E2E and security testing of multiple vendor combinations including: Foxconn O-RU and REIGN CORE; the Pegatron O-RU, O-CU and O-DU; and ASKEY equipment.
- RIC – VIAVI demonstrated near real-time RIC platform performance benchmarking by integrating another vendor’s xApp into the VIAVI TeraVM RIC test. The two companies have also partnered to demonstrate traffic direction in a near real-time RIC by integrating anomaly detection, quality prediction, and traffic direction xApps with the TeraVM RIC test, in a fully automated way. , in a closed loop and in a multi-vendor, multi-vendor way. – technological environment.
“Interest in cross-industry collaboration on O-RAN has grown so much that we have moved to several PlugFest sessions over the year,” said Stephen Hire, Vice President of Wireless Marketing, VIAVI. “Beyond the number of participants, complexity is introduced in terms of end-to-end interoperability, AI and ML-based automation in assurance and optimization, and security. VIAVI enabled our partners to overcome this complexity by delivering comprehensive and relevant test cases on proven platforms known for their ease of use and rapid results.”
VIAVI offers the industry’s most comprehensive test suite for lab validation, field deployment, and service assurance of O-RAN networks. With extensive experience validating network products for carriers and manufacturers worldwide, VIAVI enables any node – O-RU, O-DU, O-CU, RIC and Core – and tests complete end-to-end to be done on-premises, in the cloud or as a service.
VIAVI (NASDAQ: VIAV) is a global provider of network test, monitoring and assurance solutions for communications service providers, enterprises, network equipment manufacturers, government and avionics. We help these customers harness the power of instrumentation, automation, intelligence and virtualization to Order the network. VIAVI is also a leader in light management solutions for 3D detection, anti-counterfeiting, consumer electronics, industrial, automotive and defense applications. Learn more about VIAVI at www.viavisolutions.com. Follow us on VIAVI Perspectives, LinkedIn, TwitterYoutube and Facebook.
SOURCES VIAVI Solutions